Friday, October 5, 2018

The two biggest reasons for the shitty state of UO free shards

Hey there. So I've said this before, but I want to say it again.
Here are the two reasons why I, as a die-hard UO fan, haven't played for over 6 years:

1. Too many servers.
As a result, the small UO community is spread thinly across all the servers, which results in small server populations. And server population is important if you want to have a living world.

2. Lack of new content
By "new content" I mean the following:
GMs do not create interesting and elaborate events and quests.
Any GM event I've seen so far has been along the lines of "hey it's halloween so we've dyed some monsters pink and given them increased stats, go kill them and earn some neon-colored robes".

None of the shards I've been to have a real story going on  - with quests, struggle, conquests, interesting storylines, etc. It's extremely sad.

Let's face it - default UO without a storyline is quite a boring experience. Combat is basic and PvE is not exciting. While the expansions added new scenery and new stuff to do the biggest issue was that they trammelized ALL servers. They didn't make separate PvP servers without Tram and PvE servers with Tram. They just trammelized everything - a prety horrible and incompetent decision by all standards.
(And yes, I know about Siege Perilous).

Shit, at this point it's more interesting to play WoW on some free vanilla server even with it's total lack of reasons to pvp no looting and virtually no way to lose your items (which makes for a stale economy once enough ppl hit max lvl).

So yeah.
It saddens me that I feel I really don't want to go back to UO. There's nothing there for me. I'm having way more fun in vanilla WoW even tho it drives me crazy that I can't loot fallen enemies (and that nobody can loot me) or steal from them as a rogue.

I feel like an incel who can't get laid no matter what. It's maddening. I can't get my proper MMORPG fix no matter what.

EvE is a somewhat nice alternative but I dislike the fact that it's mainly fleet-pvp oriented (it's not really possible to go out there by yourself and wreck. Well, you could, but it would take you some time to find someone willing to fight you, since in this game people can escape the location even before you emerge out of warp, lol. And it doesn't help that some can just call their buddies from across the system - they arrive in the matter of seconds and you get 1v10'd). Otherwise EvE is a pretty good game for people who are looking for a virtual world they can live in, but overall not really my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment